Wednesday 18 September 2013

VIC walks at a glance

In Victoria I lived in Bendigo so most of my recent walks are centered around the town. I also have done multiple trips to the Grampians NP and a few random walks around Victoria. One of my greatest walks I have started but not yet finished is the goldfields track which goes for 210kms from Bendigo to Ballarat. Here I've compiled a brief list of all the walks I have done in Victoria.

Bendigo surrounds;

Bendigo bush
Bendigo is surrounded by bush which makes walking and exploring really easy. I'll talk about my regular areas and where I walk with my dogs.
Crusoe reservoir and no.7 park
A nice area rich in history, abundant bird life and two reservoirs.

Goldfields track- Bendigo to Ballarat

I've separated the track into four walks, two of which I have already completed.
Bendigo to Mt Alexander 
The first leg of the dry diggings track. An epic walk on relatively flat ground,  plenty to see and do.
30 kms, 8hrs.
Mt Alexander to Castlemaine
Another epic walk, Mt Alexander was a good climb but wore me out and I struggled get to Castlemaine, blisters are not fun!
28 kms, 9hrs.
Castlemaine to Daylesford- TBC
Haven't walked this section yet,  it should be promising. This time im going to split the walk over two days and camp overnight, it will be my first overnight walk.
Daylesford to Ballarat-TBC
The last leg, yet to be completed.

Grampians NP;

I've been to the Grampians several times,  the place is amazing and offers a variety of walks for all skill levels. I've done a new walk every time I visit, and there's still plenty I haven't done yet! Natural disasters have closed a lot of the tracks, but there are still plenty of accessible walks.
Pt 1- First visit.
I went with a friend who didn't really want to do much walking so we did a few small walks, and I also did one big one on my own. A lot of the area had been hit by fires the previous summer but didn't affect the walking tracks much.
Pt 2-After the fires.
Bush fires had wreaked havoc once again, this time causing significant damage. I did a few more well known tracks including the pinnacle and the balconies.
Pt 3- After the floods. 
Yet another natural disaster hit the area, this time flood damage. Silverband falls dramatically changed and a lot of the park was inaccessible.
Pt 4- Most recent.
The park is still recovering from all the damage mother nature decided to inflict. I checked out areas that hadn't been affected in the northern part of the park. Also ventured down a closed track (naughty I know!) One of my best trips to the Grampians.

Rest of VIC;

Hanging rock
I've been to hanging rock several times, its a nice short walk with pretty cool views. There's a nice story about girls that went missing and an in depth information centre.
Macedon ranges
I stumbled across a short walk when hanging rock was closed one day. It lead to a memorial area with a great lookout over the region. A good short walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment